Tuesday, August 21, 2012

In The Spirit of TAM...

Lovelies,

I don't want to rehash old drama from last week, but I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to write about this on my blog, yet.  If you already know the story, sorry for the regurgitation-- and the nasty aftertaste I'm just now washing away!

Many of you followed the recent saga with Tracy Anderson's assistant, Ali Rickards, on Facebook.  If you are unaware, basically, it was brought to my attention that a number of devoted TAM'ers had been promised various items from the TAM team for participating in QVC, for winning contests, etc... and I myself, was still waiting for my $150 gift certificate for being a finalist in the Instagram contest.

So, I sent the following letter to all of the TAM emails addresses I had, including the customer service email for GOOP, so Tracy's biz partner and BFF, Gwyneth, would also be brought up to speed with the issues. (What can I say, I'm a reporter, so I figured it would be most effective to contact ALL parties involved.)  *I've taken out names to protect the identities of the ladies involved: (Also, the copying and pasting is creating white blocks in the formatting, so apologies for the weird color changes.)

Dear Tracy and the entire TAM team:

I am writing this on behalf of myself, T, P, E and B.  We are all faithful followers of the Method and have been thrilled with our results.  But, unfortunately, we are writing to you because of our immense disappointment with your customer service follow-through.

We are all waiting on promised items from the TAM staff—from gift certificates to customized workouts, eating plans and DVD’s that never arrived.

E and I were runners-up in the Instagram contest, but to date, have never received our $150 gift certificates.  E was also promised an additional gift bag for her family to celebrate the journey she has been on with her brave son throughout his cancer recovery.

When T was showcased on QVC, Tracy promised her a customized workout, since she was classified as a “flute” (combination of glute and hip.)  She was also told she would receive shakes, ankle weights and a gift for her daughter.  T excitedly checked her mailbox for weeks, only to be disappointed with no package at all.

Similarly, B, also a QVC testimonial, was promised shakes and DVD’s for the time she spent on QVC promoting the Method and received nothing.  In addition, B also won a workout with Tracy.  Again, no follow-through and no workout.

The TAM staff changed, re-scheduled and then canceled P’s customized workout with Tracy at the last minute.  P had made special arrangements to cut a visit short with her father, who was very ill at the time, to make sure she was available for the planned workout with Tracy.  P's before and after pictures have been featured on the TAM website because of her incredible transformation.  Not only was her one-one-one workout canceled and never rescheduled, she never received a customized meal and workout plan as promised--- or even an apology. 

This is utterly unacceptable.

On behalf of all of these incredible women, I want you to know how saddened and disappointed we all are that none of our efforts have been adequately rewarded as promised.  We did our part:  We dedicate time out of our day every day for Tracy’s Method and we have all put in hours of commitment to Tracy—from taking the time to give testimonials on QVC to rallying votes from friends and strangers on Instagram for the Detox contest.

We are all part of a group on Facebook that follow the Tracy Anderson Method and I am sorry to report that due to this horrendous customer service, there are a number of women who have left the Method.  None of us want to give up TAM, but we feel disrespected and would like you to respond with the items that were not only promised to us, but that each of us earned fairly.

Out of respect for the women that have helped create what has become a fitness empire, also known as the Tracy Anderson Method, give us the courtesy of an immediate response and shipment of our promised items/gifts/certificates, etc.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Well, initially I received a cordial email back with explanations for each of the episodes of failed customer service--- from confusion about QVC gifts to Tracy canceling a private workout because of her high-risk pregnancy.  Then, Ali shot back with this:
I wish you had brought these issues to the attention of our Info email address before writing such an angry email and including people who are not involved such as GOOP's customer service.  It really isn't in the spirit of TAM.  I would also like to point out that these are all gifts, not things that were purchased, we appreciate your enthusiasm but our company is spending a lot of money out of pocket to give to you.
I was furious.  To turn it around on us, basically saying that we were being ungrateful for the money coming out of the deep pockets of the business??...But instead of flying off the handle, I tried to remain classy and yet firm:

Ali-- I’m disappointed that you view these promised items as “spending a lot of money out of pocket to give to you.”  May I remind you that these weren’t simply freebies to a few chicks who do some occasional leg lifts.  We are all part of a community who has incorporated Tracy’s Method into our lives and have been uniquely affected and individually inspired by our results.  I started a blog, Mistress of the Method, dedicated to my TAM journey because of how highly I regard Tracy and her revolutionary fitness system.

Every single person mentioned in my email has contributed to Tracy’s business in a positive light—from the QVC visits to P’s before and after pictures on Tracy’s website, to my weekly blog postings.  From a marketing perspective, the effect we, as a whole, have had on Tracy’s outreach far exceeds the monetary value of any “gift.”

In our experience, TAM customer service has consistently over-promised and under-delivered and we are simply holding them accountable, like any loyal customer would.  Tracy has high expectations for her devoted followers…why wouldn’t we share the same high expectations for her team?
I decided to share the dialogue on the largest TAM fan page since so many dedicated TAM'ers were upset about various customer service complaints and was not met with a smiley face from that bird brained twit Tracy's assistant:
Hi Parker,

I have sent out everything that has needed to be sent out to the recipients.  I really don't appreciate you sharing our emails with a Facebook group.  We try to keep things positive here at TAM.
POSITIVE?  The entire experience could have been positive if customer service had just sent out that items that were PROMISED in the first place.  My last interaction with Ali, was my response to her last email:

Ali--- With all due respect, the reaction from my Facebook friends was shock due to the tone you took in your email response. Perhaps you should consider it a lesson in customer service.

I appreciate your follow up.

The very next day, I received a very apologetic email from the PR firm handling detox week:

I recently became aware of the debacle regarding the delivery of the $150 gift cards that you have been owed for some time and wanted to personally apologize for the delay.  There have been a number of technical obstacles that have impacted our ability to process these gift cards.

Regardless, this has been unacceptable and embarrassing to all parties involved.  To avoid any further delays, we have decided to mail you $150 pre-paid gift cards.  Please let me know by this weekend if your mailing address that you originally provided has changed.  Otherwise, your gift cards will be going out in Monday's mail.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me directly via email or my mobile.

Less than a week later, I received a $150 check.  BAM.  DONE.  

I called the PR guy to thank him for his attention to the matter and he suggested that I be on a conference call with the TAM team to communicate all of our concerns.  He wants to know how they can improve their  customer service and felt like my speaking on behalf of the TAM facebook group would be valuable for Tracy and friends.  I've yet to be contacted about a date for the conference call, but all in all, I'm happy that the matter was finally resolved.

Here's the proof in the form of a check-- waaaaay better than receiving a gift certificate!

Was that so hard?  $150 check from TAM for Instagram Contest
I think what this represents for me is a reminder of why I love being a reporter-- it's a chance to be a voice for others who either don't have one, or don't recognize the power of their own.  In this case, many of the girls had already done their due diligence and written emails, made calls....and still had been ignored.  I'd like to think it was the power of the group that finally got us the attention from the TAM team.  

All this time, I though how exciting it would be to meet Tracy someday-- and of course, ya'll know about my little fantasy of cooking for her and Gwyneth on our "girls weekend away," LOL!  So, thinking that the person who had Tracy's ear the most (her assistant, obviously) was so nasty and obviously was reprimanding me in a hateful way, broke my heart a little, to be honest.  Just thinking that Tracy would have a negative image of me in her mind, when all I was doing was standing up for what was promised to me and to other loyal TAM'ers.

So, I had a META-physical conflict going on in my head....get it?  META?  hahahahaha!  (I amuse myself, sometimes....)  Had I lost faith in the Method?  Would I still feel good about doing the TAM workout?  I'm about to start META level 3 Omni...I realized I was dreading it.  Because the whole experience chronicled above made me feel so sad, mad and frustrated.  

Would Tracy really know the truth about how we were treated and how we felt?  Did she actually read that email dialogue?  Anyone with half a brain would see how unprofessionally Ali handled herself, how horrifyingly immature, right?  If that conference call doesn't happen, I may never know.

Then I started thinking back to why I began doing the Method in the first place.

1. I loved how it made me feel.

2. I loved my results.

That, lovelies, is what I would like to think is truly In The Spirit of TAM....And enough for me to move on from that nasty little dialogue, put it behind me for good and get back to the best part of Tracy Anderson's Method.  The freakin' workout.

Now that my 18 hour days are over, I'm ready to get back to intense TAM mat/dance cardio and get my flabby ass back in shape.  It's been 3 weeks of no working out while I was working on-air for NBC (I opted for an extra hour of sleep instead of hitting the mat....but with only 4-5 hours a night, I needed it.)

I'm going to put myself on a 30 day sprint-- not exactly bootcamp, but a STRICT schedule of working out and eating clean.

I'm going to document my progress, naturally, on my blog....and you know what that means.  UGH.

Pictures.

And Miss Muffin Top and her nasty ass sister, Gutty McFatty will be smiling WIDE (emphasis on WIDE) for the camera.  It's true.

Mistress of Mayhem Moderation is back....I can't promise it's gonna be pretty.  But it's gonna be real.

This picture pretty much sums up why Muffin and Gutty are back in the picture....literally.

This Little Piggy!  Tackling "The Big Ed" sandwich at The Whistling Pig.

Oh yeah.  That's me, shooting an episode of Georgia Traveler...as I inhale eat a sandwich that actually isn't even on the menu at The Whistling Pig in Pine Mountain, GA.  "The Big Ed" is Texas toast, topped with mayo, pork loin, coleslaw, french fries, and onion rings.  Oh yes, I did. 

Day 1 starts NOW.  

More details on diet, menu and some other good eats....Think Thin bars, NOT included.  Cuz, girls, this little piggy needs to do more than THINK thin.  Can I get an AMEN?








11 comments:

  1. Amen! I don't get why those nasty, processed, soy-protein-isolate filled bars are on her clean eating diet, anyway! Bleck. Glad you are feeling your old motivation come back! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess! Now if this little piggy can just work on her clean eating!!! LOL! Love you too, Mama. Thanks for always reading....xxoo

      Delete
  2. Parker, You creating a collective voice for the troops is first and foremost, very noble. You resolved the issue and I'm sure there are a few grateful women out there.
    It's sad that it had to become so dramatic and make you feel so rotten. I think we all expect a certain level of courtesy from people who represent customer service.
    I often find it frustrating when when that courtesy seems to be lacking but what helps me stay cool is to try to be aware that everyone we meet is fighting some kind of battle, we just don't necessarily know what it is. Perhaps it doesn't excuse rudeness, but if you were aware that the person had just lost their pet, had an ailing parent or were just in a car accident, their behavior might at least be understandable. I am not making excuses for Ali, I don't even know her, but I am suggesting that perhaps there was more going on for her than met the eye when she sent the email, and have no doubt that she now feels badly about it. I know I would.
    I'm really pleased that you were able to work though it and go back to the reasons why you started the program in the first place and that you're not throwing in the towel. I like sharing this journey with you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shan--- your gentle voice of reason resonates....It's true, I'm sure I'm not privvy to the whole story. Several women from the detox week mentioned that Ali was wearing alot of hats-- from chef to assistant to babysitter. I'm sure she has a tough job, but as a professional, she should have known better. What's the old customer saying? Someone with a good experience tells one person, someone with a bad experience tells 10?

      I don't want to harbor resentment or trash her publicly-- but I felt it my obligation to share the dialogue with other TAM'ers. I am happy to remember why I started TAM in the first place....Your blog always reminds me of that when I need it!

      xxoo

      Delete
  3. Hi Parker,
    That was incredible!!! You spoke up for everyone and didn't let your anger get the best of you. It is true we all spend so much time and effort on this method and to be treated like THAT is terrible!!
    I am really proud you did what you did and you make a great reporter!!
    Its true what Shan wrote, that we don't know what was in mind of Ali but also as always when you deal with customers you shouldn't let your emotions effect your response as it has a huge negative effect for the whole business. We all spend time and money for this method and yeah its true - this method should help us, but also they make a lot of money with the programm, DVDs and merchandising and WE as the customers are spreading the good word so they can make MORE money. I sincerely hope, that Tracy gets wind of the Ali-Situation and takes her a side - talking some common sense into her. You have to treat your customers right in order to have a healthy and foremost wealthy relationship with them. If customer service ignores you you will most likely go somewhere else and that should be in Tracy's mind.
    Thank you again for what you did!!!!
    So proud of you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Nina! I hope it makes a difference in the long term--- I would hate to see customer service issues be the undoing of the TAM empire. She needs to think about the masses of women who've built the empire for her and remember how much WE matter! xxoo

      Delete